Peach and Pepper Tacos
1 large avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled
⅓ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 small clove garlic, chopped
5 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon chili powder
1½ cups hot cooked barley
2 tablespoons slivered fresh basil
Sea salt, to taste
4 medium peaches or nectarines, halved and pitted
12 whole miniature bell peppers in assorted colors
1 large fresh poblano chile pepper, halved and seeded
1 small yellow onion, quartered lengthwise
12 6-inch corn tortillas
- For Avocado Crema: In a blender or food processor combine avocado; plant milk; 1 Tbsp. of the lime juice; the hot pepper sauce; garlic; and sea salt, to taste. Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl combine 3 Tbsp. of the orange juice, the remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice, and the chili powder. Add barley and basil; toss to combine. Season with salt.
- Brush peaches, bell peppers, poblano, and onion quarters with the remaining 2 Tbsp. orange juice. Grill, covered, over medium-high about 10 minutes or until slightly charred, turning as needed and brushing with water as needed to prevent drying. Transfer to a cutting board; cool slightly.
- Halve bell peppers and remove stems and seeds. Cut peach halves and onion into wedges; separate onion wedges. Cut poblano into bite-size strips.
- Spread tortillas with Avocado Crema. Top with barley mixture and grilled peaches and vegetables.